Sunday, June 19, 2011

Because I miss my work and my mentor misses me :)

May 24

Because I miss my work and my mentor misses me. I have decided that instead of spending my few vacation days at home doing nothing, I decided to go back to work.

Today was the most frightening day for me. I have experienced dealing with police reports for the past days of my ojt, but today was the very first time I encountered a firsthand encounter at the crime scene, where everything is FRESH.

It was around past 5pm and we were about to go home after we finished our articles when a news broke over the radio. It was about an ambush of a police officer along Visayas Avenue. 

Guess what, we were (at the DENR press office) just a few meters away from the crime scene.

My mentor decided to take us on the crime scene.
We walked from DENR to the crime scene instead of riding the jeepney because it was already traffic.

Walking itself was really tiring; we were hurrying before the corpse of the policeman is carried out of the scene.

Upon getting there, suddenly I felt my knees shacking, feet less, headless and I can’t really explain how I felt upon seeing the body bloodied slumped on the sidewalk.

I was few meters away from the body, my co-trainees and my mentor was closer to the corpse. I presented to hold my mentor’s laptop instead of going near the corpse.

I didn’t see his face I was not brave enough to see it. I felt like I was going to collapse because I’m really scared of blood, and what I am seeing was not only a pinch of blood, he was bloodied.

After a while, my mentor called us then instructed us to interview some bystanders that might have saw what happened.

I was really out of myself that time, I was not on focus on what should I do.

But I must do my job, I roam around the crime scene then luckily I saw a man shaking, looking nervous, and talking to three people. I joined their conversation.

Luckily, I got a very crucial detail about the incident. My hands were shaking so I was not able to write what he was saying; instead I just recount every detail he says.

Upon going back to DENR, we started to do the article for submission to the Metro editor. It was like a whirlwind experience.
Getting the information, first hand, then doing the article itself right on the spot.

Believe me, we haven't ate anything of red sauce for days because of the incident.

No comments: